GRAND Council & ARMIGERS
Any chief recognised by the Lord Lyon as chief of a clan or family is chief of all who bear the name of the clan or family….
Lord Lyon, Edinburgh, Scotland, 16th December 2021
- There is only one Scottish clan and family of Carruthers and its origins are in Annandale, Dumfriesshire, South-West Scotland.
- It can trace the recorded use of its ‘name’ back into the 1100’s in Scotland, prior to this surnames were not used.
- The name itself comes from an area and ancient parish in Annandale, Dumfriesshire called Carruthers, being named after the Brythonnic fort (Caer) of Rydderch (pronounced Ruthers in ancient Cumbric/Brythonnic) i.e Caer Ruthers.
- Rydderch was a warlord of the Selgovae tribe in and around 200 AD.
- As Border Reivers, Carruthers were one of the 17 Border clans named in the 1587 Act of the Supression of Unruly Clans, by the Scottish Parliament.
CLAN AND FAMILY INFORMATION
- There is only one recognised chief of the clan and family of Carruthers – Peter Carruthers of Holmains, whose line can trace its lineage back to before 1320.
- There is only one official Carruthers clan/family tartan, this is registered as such with the Scottish Register of Tartans in Edinburgh (Carruthers STR11700.)
- There is only one Society authorised by the clan chief to represent the name Carruthers and it derivations worldwide and that is the Clan Carruthers Society (International).
- The chief of Carruthers is a hereditary member of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs (Scotland), and Honorary President of the Clan Carruthers Society (International), who are members of COSCA (USA), CASSOC (Canada) and SAHC (Australia)
THE COUNCIL OF THE SCOTTISH BORDER CLAN AND FAMILY OF CARRUTHERS:
NB: Arms do not belong to a family but to an individual. It is illegal in Scot’s law and totally disrespectful in clan society, to use or bastardise the arms of a Scottish clan chief or armiger, without their permission. The shield of the Chief of Carruthers, dating back more than 400 years, has been proudly borne by the hereditary chief of our family through the ages. It is used here with our chief’s permission as Honorary President to our Society.
Dr. Simon Peter Carruthers of Holmains (22nd of his line)
(Arms/Shield of the Chief of the Name and Arms of CARRUTHERS)
(Full achievment of the arms of the Chief of the Name and Arms of Carruthers)
LIVING ARMIGERS :
(All arms are recognised and registered with the Lord Lyon in Scotland)
Bruce Nigel Mitchell-Carruthers (France)
James Andrew Carruthers of Dormont (UK)
Iain Arthur Stewart Carruthers (UK)
Dr. George Carruthers FSA Scot (UK)
Gary John Carruthers FSA Scot (Aus)
Living Armigers associated with the Clan:
Dr. George Haig (Society Treasurer)
Dr. George Carruthers, FSA Scot (UK)
Dana Caruthers Norton, FSA Scot (USA)
Cécelia Mitchell-Carruthers (France)
Dr. George Haig (UK)
Stuart Carruthers (UK)
Laura Carruthers (UK)
Dr. Liz Monument (Aus)
REGIONAL CLAN COMMISSIONERS:
(Commissioners are recommended by the Convenor and if accepted, commissioned by the Chief)
Clan Commissioner – USA:
Dana Caruthers Norton, FSA Scot
Clan Commissioner – Europe:
Clan Commissioner – Canada:
Andrew J. Carruthers
Clan Commissioner – Australasia:
Gary J. Carruthers, FSA Scot
Clan Commissioner – Africa:
Clan Commissioner – Great Britain:
REGIONAL SECRETARIES :
Clan Secretary – Australasia:
Clan Secretary – Canada:
Laurie Carruthers Pasher
Clan Secretary – UK:
Clan Secretary – USA:
Dr. William Carruthers
CLAN AND FAMILY RESEARCH TEAM
Senior Regional Genealogist – USA:
Dana Caruthers Norton FSA Scot
Senior Regional Genealogist – Australia:
Gary John Carruthers FSA Scot
Senior Regional Genealogist– Canada:
Laurie Carruthers Caron Pasher
y-DNA Research Director
Steve Colburn (USA)
Lead Historian – Australasia
Gary J Carruthers FSA Scot
Lead Historian – Canada
Harold J Carruthers
Lead Historian – UK
Dr. George Carruthers FSA Scot
Lead Historian – USA
Craig H. Carothers